Wednesday 9 September 2015

FAT SHAMING - MY THOUGHTS

 FAT SHAMING -

 
 
There has been  found several new websites sharing details of how to join a campaign, as well as shocking new pages dedicated to tormenting overweight people - a sick practice often referred to as "chubby-baiting" - It's the latest trend for the political correctness lobby. Using the word 'fat', or warning loved ones they are too fat and putting their health in jeopardy, IS NOT NEEDED - individuals know what is happening - and they DO NOT NEED TO BE TOLD - Instead of Teaching them the obvious - How about you reach out to this person - and BE THEIR FRIEND ????
 
WHY IS THE INTERNET ALLOWING THIS ?? WHY CAN THIS NOT BE STOPPED ...
WE ARE ALL HUMAN TOGETHER - AND DONT NEED OR HAVE THE RIGHT TO 'SHAME' OTHERS - WHATEVER THE REASON
 
Comedian ( I personally find her offensive and not in the least funny )  Nicole Arbour made quite the name for herself  this week after she posted a video on YouTube titled "Dear Fat People" which is full of mean-spirited jokes about obesity.
 

In the video, which has already garnered over 18 million views, Arbour rants that fat-shaming was "not a thing" and just made up by overweight people — she even compares it to "the race card."
This 'Woman' has expectedly received a ton of heat for her insensitive jokes, which she disguises as contrarian satire, and has caused some notable names to express their criticism.
My Big Fat Fabulous Life star Whitney Way Thore, who also started the No Body Shame campaign, said in a response video:
 
"Fat-shaming is a thing; it's a really big thing, no pun intended. It is the really nasty spawn of a larger parent problem called body-shaming, which I'm fairly certain everyone on the planet, especially women, has experienced."
 
YouTube star Grace Helbig also felt like she needed to make a video responding to Arbour, in which she highlights her frustrations that Arbour's malicious jokes make her seem like less of a comedian. She says:
 
"To me it looks like you're using a controversial and personal subject to leverage subscribers and attention in a negative way…Comedy can be a really powerful tool, and I wish we could use it more respectfully."
 
 
 
Is it not far far better to have a sense of what is right and wrong, to strive to be a better person and to be a good influence in the world. POSITIVLY .... otherwise there is a danger of getting carried away and unnecessarily imposing one’s standards on other people....

Everyone has a right to decide what’s good for them and the freedom to make mistakes. It’s not usually worth playing the role of teacher, judge, critic or parent in anyone’s life. Freedom allows everyone to focus on their own lives, choices, responsibilities and continual learning.......

You’ll accept more when you watch, listen and learn

It’s premature to judge someone when you don’t know all the facts about why they behave the way they do and what’s really going on in their brain. But the truth is that you can never know all the facts. So it may be wiser to shrug your shoulders and accept the limits of your own understanding.
 
 
 
Steve Miller - a Journalist - goes on to tell us in a lovely article - that 'Fat Shaming' is Positive - and can only help the individual - Help them how exactly Steve - Because that's what you FAT SHAMERS are doing - your aiding the hate, not helping .... its a vicious circle = Yeah Yeah - You may have been fat at one point - BUT YOU be a Fat person - who has no control - AND THEN SHAME THEM - you are then adding to their guilt and adding to the drain on the society and the NHS by making them go on Anti-depressants - to help feel better about themselves = BECAUSE - EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO FEEL OK ABOUT WHO THEY ARE - FAT - THIN - COLOURED - WHATEVER -
 
Everytime a FAT PERSON eats - I can ASSURE you FAT SHAMERS - that they are thinking of what they are doing - and they know they shouldn't and they know it is harmful and they could die - and they will be harming everyone who loves them - BUT THEY CANT STOP - and helping would be far far better than telling them the bleeding obvious - Ask them if they want to go to the gym WITH YOU ... ask them if you BOTH want to go to Weight Watchers - Because Healthy Eating is good for anyone - Ask them if they want to come for a walk with the dog / go to the park with the kids and play football - ask them for dinner - and show them a HEALTHY meal - DONT JUST TELL THEM THEY ARE FAT AND NEED TO STOP EATING AND EXERSIZE - ITS NOT HELPFUL - and trying to get cheap laughs out of another - is plain nasty - Nothing else can be said there ...
 

 
 
I have just received this message from 'someone' who thinks what they are saying to me is helpful - I shall post it in a few sentences as it did go ON AND ON !!!
 
" It's appropriate and reasonable to say that shaming fat people should understanding. The most common excuse is "hypothyroidism" and I see you are using that excuse too -  and it's an excuse because it's some how their condition's fault that if they pic up something unhealthy and consciously eat it, somehow it's not their fault that they have a super low metabolism.
Yeah it's your condition's fault that you decided to eat something unhealthy and you knew of your condition; it's not your fault. Just like it's not your fault that you got cancer because you smoked.
Fat people are disgusting. YOU are disgusting - and you are NOT sexy or pretty or a good advocate for hypothyroidism and fat people or whatever else it is you are trying to do ... Seriously, you have a conscious to decide what and what not to eat, even when you know you have a eating / medical condition, how about instead of eating a lot of sugars and processed foods, eat a lot of vegetables and fruits? "
Mr X - That's what im going to call him !!!
 
 
 
OK - My response to that - PERSONALLY - ( And I would think a lot of people are the same )  I DONT SMOKE - I DONT DRINK - I CANT DRIVE ANYMORE - ( as My condition leaves me with a licence revoke ) I CANT GO OUT ALONE - I CANT GO OUT AT NIGHT - I CANT GO TO BUSY PLACES - Ohhh and that's just the good stuff !! ....
I eat LOADS of Fresh and Frozen ( As Frozen is Just as good as fresh - as it is picked and frozen within hours - so keeping all the nutrients ) FRUIT AND VEGETABLES, I DONT SIT HERE EATING CREAM CAKES AND BISCUITS AND OTHER STUFF THATS BAD FOR YOU ...
In fact - I eat if I do out with someone - Maybe a Bacon Buttie - Because that's my favourite = and I don't have Bacon at home - and then - I wont eat until dinnertime - when I would have a Normal sized portion of something like chilli - or spaghetti - or curry - I don't eat chips !! = lool  - ok ok - I do - But very VERY rarely - I want my kids eating properly - and having their 7 a day - ( Yeah - I know its now 7 and NOT 5 a day !! ) Because - Im actually VERY informed about Nutrition and Health etc !!
My body has gone into Famine Mode due to a Pituitary Brain tumour - and the Hypo and a problem with a gland at the back of my head - ( But - being judgemental - I presume you wont have any idea what im talking about - so I wont even bother ! )
BUT - YES - I EAT Carrot Cake ohhh and Chocolate and the odd packet of Crisps and EVERYTHING that everyone else has - FFS - I cant HAVE to give up ALCOHOL AND CIGARETTES AND DRIVING AND LOUD MUSIC ........
 
 
PLEASE BE A LITTLE UNDERSTANDING - I DONT OVER EAT - AND NEVER HAVE - BUT YES - I EAT STUFF I SHOULDNT - AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ME THAT I CANT - I HAVE NOTHING ELSE - NO OTHER VICES !!!
 
I CANT LOOSE WEIGHT - I was going to the gym 5 times a week - 2 hours a day for about two years - and lost nothing - even the PT thought I ate elsewhere - I used to do One hour in the gym and then one hour at Aqua - AND I LOVED IT, made loads of friends - everyone was friendly = LOVELY guys to look at !! - BUT - then one day - my head shut down - and I fell off the treadmill, basically blacking out = and since then - I have been told I cannot go to the gym anymore -
 
as they are not insured for my particular illness - and they don't have the resources to keep someone with me at all times = I have since TRIED going back - But got stopped ..... I can go in their for coffee - and wait for my ex and kids to finish in the pool - BUT - I am NOT allowed in their as I am a risk for them ... and for others ... GREAT .... SO - WALKING - OK I cant even walk my dog anymore - ( I used to go to Canine Agility with her - and used to do the jumps myself as well - I LOVED THAT TOO !! ) BUT - now - if I walk to the end of the street my head shuts down - I cant talk - and I walk as though I am drunk - fair enough - BUT - If I carried on - I would pass out - NOT DUE TO BEING TIRED but due to being MENTALLY EXHAUSTED - then I HAVE TO SLEEP  .... My head takes in too much - I cant even mow the lawn - AGAIN - something I used to LOVE to do - Or Cut the bushes back - as if I life my arms above my head - or in fact use my arms - I HAVE A HUGE PAIN AND PRESSURE in my head - and then THAT BRINGS ON A STORM !
 
AND YOUR NOW TAKING AWAY A NORMAL SIZE BAR OF CHOCOLATE - OR A BACON SARNIE - THANKS MATE ...
 
 
 
It is NEVER as it seems - so PLEASE DONT THROW AROUND ACCUSATIONS WITHOUT KNOWING THE TRUTH .....
 
Sarah Jackson, a psychologist at University College London and a researcher for a recent fat-shaming study, states that weight-related teasing and stigmatization have been shown to have negative effects on well-being and can lead to psychological distress, weight shaming also clearly sends a public message that overweight and obese individuals are less deserving of fair treatment and essentially gives the public permission to discriminate against these individuals
Striving to attain these thin standards that the media is imposing is not at all healthy! Prominent media outlets need to be more responsible about the images they promote and counter these images with clear messaging that seeks to empower individuals to healthy lifestyles and not simply seek to shame them into submission
 
 
 
 
Understanding that obesity is a complex area is a valid reason. You don't have to like it. You don't have to do anything but try to understand that the humans you meet ARE HUMAN. Treat people with that respect. That people are on different journeys and in different places. Accept that. Do you want people to accept you for your imperfections, for your journey? That you aren't perfect? Yes? Then do that for other people.
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment